Budget-friendly meals you can cook on a budget. Shawarma
Cook Shawarma with less than 100 cedis
Written by Freda Gbati
Living on campus is all fun and games until ‘elef’ that your last 50 cedis or less and you still haven’t figured out what to eat. Buying campus food might not necessarily be an option for you because the food is so little you could swallow it in one sitting.
We’ll dive into the world of budget-friendly cooking and explore delicious recipes you can whip up for under 50 cedis. Let’s dig in and uncover the secrets of cooking Shwarma on a budget!
- Tortilla Bread – GHC10
- Beef/Chicken – GHC20
- Sausage – GHC3
- Carrot – GHC3
- Cabbage – GHC10
- Seasoning Cube – GHC0.50
- Onion Powder – GHC0.50
- Curry Powder – GHC10
- Powdered Pepper – GHC15
- Irish Potatoes – GHC10
- Mayonnaise – GHC15
- Ketchup – GHC15
- Corn Starch – GHC5
- Wash beef/ chicken then season beef or chicken with seasoning cube, curry, onion powder or any other seasoning you prefer
- Allow protein to marinate for about 30 minutes to an hour.
- While waiting, wash your Irish potatoes and peel them
- Cut them into thin slices and put them in boiling water and salt for about 2 minutes
- Let it sit to cool down for about 2 minutes and then evenly coat the strips with cornstarch
- Heat oil and fry until golden brown
- Grate carrots and chop cabbage and other vegetables
- In another bowl, add mayonnaise, and ketchup. Stir until an even color is obtained.
- Pan-fry your protein for about 10 minutes
- Fry your sausages for about 2 minutes
- Mix beef/chicken with vegetables and add some sauce.
- Place tortilla bread on a clean flat surface then spread some of that sweet sauce onto the bread.
- Add mixed veggies and protein onto the bread, then add sausage and wrap! The wrapping does not have to be perfect boo just try and enjoy your meal!
Watch this recipe video by d_sassykitchen on Instagram
About the Writer
Freda Gbati is a level 300 student at the University of Ghana studying Business administration. Freda loves to write and runs a business and a foundation. follow her on social media. Follow her on social media